Why Singapore Is Worth a Visit All Year Round
Singapore is one of those nations which has a rich blend of everything that finds its mentions on the travellers’ list. To add to the charm, the weather is consistently warm all-year-long. For these reasons and more, it makes for an ideal getaway at any given point of the year.
The somewhat cooler months of February, March and April are inviting in Singapore. The main highlight is the Chinese New Year, which falls in February.
Also called the Spring Festival, the celebrations usually begin three weeks prior to the date. Expect sale, light banter, brightly lit streets and special feasts. Needless to say that Chinatown is the main hub of all celebrations.
- River Hongbao: marks the beginning of Chinese New Year with celebrations at Floating Platform, Marina Bay in February.
- Savour: Singapore’s annual food festival in March.
There is no other place shoppers would be in during The Great Singapore Sale, which usually begins in May and kick-off from Orchard Road malls first.
The 8-week long festival attracts shopaholics from all over the world with its unbeatable bargains, which plummet to 70% or more. In the GSS you can expect to buy everything under the sun. All you need is the time, some planning and lots of energy. Fill your shopping bags unlimited!
- Vesak Day: when Buddhists observe Buddha Purnima by offerings and prayer to Buddha in May.
- Singapore International Festival of Arts: an amalgamation of all things artsy—from theatre, films, dance and music—begins in June.
The main highlight of this season is the Singapore Grand Prix.
People from Southeast Asia flock over to the island to experience the thrills of the Formula 1 race and its stellar line-up. Apart from the race itself, the headlining acts by famous musicians and singers and the after-hours parties add to the eclectic energy.
- National Day: when Singapore recalls its independence in August.
- Mid-Autumn Festival: is a quiet, friendly festival with lantern processions in September.
Tip: If you are wondering where are the cheap hotels to stay during the Singapore Grand Prix, checkout this list of hotels that are near the F1 race track.
One of the biggest beach parties in Asia, ZoukOut, is a favourite amongst the youth.
Artistes from world over are flown in for this 2-day dance festival in December. David Guetta, Avicii, Paul van Dyk and DJ Afrojack are some of the many international DJs who have graced the stage here. It is a perfect way to end the year.
- WTA Finals Singapore: when tennis legends play the good sport in October.
- Christmas: celebrations everywhere on the island in December.